NEW and UPDATED items are marked and highlighted.
For information on joining the club, see “About the Club” at the end of the newsletter.
Any problems, or to submit items for the newsletter, email me at wils…@gmail.com.
Actions that CC Democrats can be taking now (NEW)
1. Learn about our local government over the next few months. Learn about our County Commissioners system (and which commissioner district you live in), our county court system, our Board of Education, your Democratic or Republican Central Committees, and all other county elected positions.
If you live in a city or incorporated town in Carroll County that has its own government structure (Westminster, Taneytown, Hampstead, Manchester, New Windsor, Union Bridge, Sykesville, and Mt. Airy), learn about that structure and who are serving as elected officials now. Local elections are coming soon – some municipalities will hold elections in May 2021
Learn about our state legislature. Start by learning what state legislative district you live in and who are your representatives in the State Assembly and State Senate. Most county and state legislature will take place in 2022.
2. Consider running for local, county or state office. We need Democrats to run in Carroll County. If you have questions about running for office, please contact the CC Democratic Central Committee. It can be found online at ccdems.com (contact form is on ccdems.com/get-involved/) or email them at ccmdde…@gmail.com.
3. Find a candidate to back and volunteer to help them during their run for office. Even if you don’t live in a municipality and cannot vote for a particular candidate, you can still volunteer your time for that person – to send out campaign literature or do electioneering at the polls at early voting or on election day.
By the way, there are still postcard writing campaigns going on through Postcards to Voters (www.postcardstovoters.org) and Flip the West (www.flipthewest.com), to name two such groups. Though they are not related to local government here in Carroll County (at least not at this point), they are still great groups with which to be involved and will keep your activism well-exercised.
4. Become a paying member of the CC Democratic Club. If you are already a member, recruit other Democrats to become members. Membership costs only $15.00 (fifteen) per Club year per individual ($25 for a couple). For more information, go to www.ccdems.com/clubs.
President of the CC Democratic Club
CLUB MEMBERSHIP (UPDATED 2/17/21)
We now have 75 members, in 51 memberships, with at least 31 NEW/FIRST-TIME MEMBERS! AMAZING!
(Also posted to https://ccdems.com/dues-are-due-updated/)
To pay your dues using PAYPAL:
= email address: ccdem…@gmail.com
= option: “Friends and Family Payment” (so they don’t take out a fee)
Please use the “Add a Note” section to indicate if it’s for dues, donation, or whatever else.
Details & instructions: https://ccdems.com/the-club-now-takes-paypal/
Your CC Democratic Club in Action
We may not be meeting in person, but the CC Democratic Club is still doing good in the community and speaking up on important issues.
Here are some of the Club’s latest initiatives:
- The Club donated $100 to Days End Farm Horse Rescue in Woodbine (NEW)
- The Club donated $250 in memory of Tommy Raskin (see the Note from the President, above)
- The Club held its election year Sign Rally on Monday, November 2 from 6 – 6:30 PM.
- Donated $100.00 through our Good Works Fund to The Shepherd’s Staff which serves those in crisis in Carroll County, Maryland
- Donated $500.00 to the “Get Mitch or Die Trying” fund that donates to Democrats running in top Senate races. This fund splits evenly between Steve Bullock (MT), Sara Gideon (ME), MJ Hegar (TX), Jaime Harrison (SC), John Hickenlooper (CO), Alan Gross (AK), Mike Espy (MS), Jon Ossoff (GA), Doug Jones (AL), Gary Peters (MI), Theresa Greenfield (IA), Raphael Warnock(GA), Barbara Bollier (KS), and Cal Cunningham (NC).
- GOTV postcard campaign – The Club participated in sending Get Out the Vote postcards to Carroll County voters.
- Sponsoring the Carroll County Democrats Victory Auction. Join the Carroll County Democratic Club in supporting Democratic candidates, values, and progress for all in Carroll County, MD. Proceeds from this auction will go toward efforts to get Joe Biden elected, as well as Democratic candidates up and down the ticket. Let’s have a Blue Wave in Carroll County in 2020! https://go.eventgroovefundraising.com/9c3910.
- July 2020: Contributed $100 through our Good Work’s Fund to Carroll County Food Sunday (CCFS). “CCFS distributes a weekly, nutritionally balanced grocery package that is predicated on household size and is meant to last 3-4 days. It includes meat, eggs, fruits, vegetables, breads and milk. Over 400 families a week are served at our Westminster, Eldersburg and Taneytown locations.” Please go to their website – https://ccfoodsunday.org/ – to learn about their hours of operation and to learn how you can help. The need is so great right now for many families, please consider making your own contribution if you are able.
- July 2020: Signed on in support of Maryland Citizens’ Health Initiative resolution titled “Health Equity Resource Communities Initiative”.
- As the Maryland Citizens’ Health Initiative states “All Marylanders deserve access to high-quality, affordable health care. However, health inequities based on race, ethnicity, and place of residence persist throughout the state, as shown in maternal and infant mortality rates and other measures. The COVID-19 pandemic has further exposed these health inequities and highlighted the need to address them and otherwise improve health outcomes in our state. In underserved areas of the state, people with chronic conditions such as hypertension, heart disease, asthma, diabetes, and substance and mental health disorders have worse health outcomes and are less able to get the care and treatment they need.
”Their solution: HEALTH EQUITY RESOURCE COMMUNITIES
We are advocating for Maryland to create and fund Health Equity Resource Communities to help reduce health inequities. The Communities will provide grants, tax incentives, and health care provider loan repayment assistance to locations in the state with poor health outcomes that contribute to racial, ethnic, and geographic health inequities. They will be modeled after the successful 2012-2016 Health Enterprise Zones Program which successfully increased access to health resources, improved residents’ health, reduced hospital admissions, and created cost savings. Supporting health will help reduce preventable hospital admissions, which will result in lower overall health care costs, including lower insurance premiums for everyone.”
To learn more, to get on to Maryland Citizens’ Health Initiative’s mailing list, or to have your organization endorse the Health Equity Resource Communities Resolution, go to http://healthcareforall.com/get-involved/equitycommunities/.
- May 2020: Contributed $100 through our Good Work’s Fund to the Human Services Programs of Carroll County, Inc. (HSP). Their Director of Development was to have been our speaker at the Club’s May meeting which was cancelled due to COVID-19. The Club also participated with an entry titled ”It Takes A Village” in HSP’s 4th Annual Gingerbread Village Festival in November 2019.
“HSP gives HOPE, inspires CHANGE, and provides OPPORTUNITY by mobilizing our community in the fight against poverty.”
Hope, change, and opportunity are the driving forces behind everything we do at Human Services Programs of Carroll County, Inc. We believe that with the right support, everyone can embrace hope, make meaningful changes, and take advantage of opportunities that will lead to a fulfilling and self-sufficient life.”
To learn more about HSP and to make a monetary donation during these critical times, please go to https://hspinc.org/.
The website page has also been updated: https://ccdems.com/your-cc-democratic-club-in-action/
ABOUT CLUB MEETINGS
Link to Amanda Gorman’s inaugural poem!
Good Article About Jamie Raskin
There was an excellent article in the Washington Post a few days ago about our favorite Congressman, Jamie Raskin.
Jamie Raskin’s mobile office info:
Learn about the “Black Lives Matter” Movement: https://ccdems.com/learn-blm/
VOCAL Carroll County: https://ccdems.com/vocal-carroll-county/
ALL ARE WELCOME AT OUR MEETINGS AND EVENTS!: https://ccdems.com/all-are-welcome/
Get Your Coronavirus Mask! :https://ccdems.com/get-your-coronavirus-mask/
Request from the Humane Society of Carroll County: https://ccdems.com/hscc2020/
May 20, 2021: SAVE THE DATE: Virtual Fundraiser (NEW!!!!)
Mark your calendars!
The Carroll County Democratic Central Committee will hold a VIRTUAL FUNDRAISER Thursday, MAY 20, 2021! (The same date previously reserved for the re-scheduled Annual Dinner.)
NOTE: This is being held in lieu of the annual dinner, in order to keep all donors safe but still allow us to get together for our great cause
About the Club
We work to promote Democratic ideals and candidates. We also present speakers on topics of interest to voters at our meetings. We’re based in Westminster.
Officers and meeting information: https://ccdems.com/ccdemclub-2020-21/
The newsletter will always have the LATEST information on upcoming meetings.
The meeting minutes are posted in our Google Group folder: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByGlJGvA6lW3bGlfdUlJTTVpcGs
To pay CCDemClub annual dues, send a check made out to “”CCDemClub” to:
Mark Wilson, Treasurer, 1699 King Richard Road, Eldersburg, MD 21784.
$15 for a single, $25 for a couple. You will receive a spiffy club membership card in the mail!
Back to our regularly-scheduled program….
About the Newsletter
We send out a weekly newsletter listing all the news and upcoming events for the next month or so, emphasizing the newly-added or updated events.
As always, you can also go to ccdems.com/events at any time to see the full calendar and details.
To ADD an EVENT: send the information, including (if possible) a URL, to Mark Wilson, wils…@gmail.com
The newsletter was first published on February 25, 2017.
Et Cetera! (Various Other Resources)
Moving Forward Podcast: moving-forward.libsyn.com With host Kate Sanner
To get on the Carroll County Democratic Central Committee’s mailing list, email Tom Scanlan at trsc…@gmail.com.
To give DIRECTLY to the local food bank, Carroll County Food Sunday, go to the CCFS donation page: http://ccfoodsunday.org/how-to-help/
This page is always available, and ensures your donation directly benefits folks here in Carroll County.
From the Carroll County Democratic Club
*(corrected value; mis-numbered originally, one less than the actual number)