(From VOCAL Carroll County)
Will you add your voice to the ethics project?
Thursday, November 16th, VOCAL members presented all five County Commissioners with a letter demanding swift action to enact stronger ethics oversight of our county government.
Our work has already initiated progress. Commissioners Frazier, Wantz and Weaver expressed support for discussion of strengthening county ethics requirements, but more public support will be necessary to ensure they take the first meaningful step and schedule a public hearing.
Please consider helping amplify our message by expressing your support of VOCAL’s effort to pass a stronger Ethics Ordinance. We have a positive proactive message! Let that come across in your statements:
- Post a supportive comment on news articles and posts online.
- Write a letter to the editor of the Carroll County Times (400 word limit) and any other news source that can get our message out.
- Thank Commissioners Frazier, Wantz and Weaver for expressing initial support.
- Share the Times article with your friends and family. Bring this issue up for discussion at the Thanksgiving dinner table.
Here are some key points to make as you express your support for stricter disclosure requirements:
- You expect an honest government open to public scrutiny.
- Voters require information on elected officials interests in order to make informed decisions at the ballot box and to ensure the public interest is being upheld.
- Citizens have a Right-to-Know.
- Carroll County residents deserve rights equal to those in every other Maryland county.
- Passing a stricter ethics ordinance would strengthen public trust in our local government.
Feel free to read up on the issue in this two-page overview.